Sunday, November 15, 2009

Spotlight: G.I Joe VS Cobra: The Essential Guide

My wanderings today had me procure an unexpected gem. Sure, I've talked about toys, comics, games, and even movies, but there are few instances where I spotlight something as detailed and thick as a coffee table book, and that's what I found right here:



Oh yes, that's right... I've just acquired the Essential guide to the G.I Joe and Cobra universe! This is like one of the holy grails any Joe fan could have and being one myself, this is a rare treat I'm glad to have been able to pick up. Basically, it details the entire history of the franchise, and that's counting both the original comic book series by Joe writer and legend Larry Hama; the ubiquitous action figure toyline by Hasbro; and of course, the classic cartoon television series by Hasbro and Marvel that people like myself remember and were exposed to the most.

Now what can be said about the book? Simple, it details everything from your favorite joe characters all the way to the hordes of evil terrorists associated with the Cobra organization. Everything you wanted to learn and see about people like Duke, Scarlett, Snake-Eyes, and Cobra Commander can be read up in this book, with all of their origin stories and history intact, as well as the powerful vehicles and structures both sides have built to further their own campaigns and agendas. Also added for the hardcore fan's benefit is a detailed report of each episode and issue from the cartoon and comic book respectively, so anyone looking for a particular favorite they could not recall can now conveniently do so without any worries. No doubt, this book has a lot of information to share, accompanied by sweet illustrations and screen captures from the long media history the franchise has collected and enjoyed over the years. I'm sure you'll be saying that you can wiki the information in this day and age, but it's different when you actually own a piece of history, and at least with me and G.I.Joe, there's no exceptions whatsoever.

Without a doubt, this book is the ultimate treat for the G.I.Joe affectionado. If you can find it, I would very much recommend you taking time to browse and read through it. The G.I.Joe franchise has and still continues to make an impact to this very day, and with the recent release of the new live action film and toyline, it's cements its legacy as a staple franchise in the world of pop culture. As the saying goes, "Knowing Is Half The Battle"... and it can really happen with this on your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment