Sunday, September 6, 2009

Look... It's Superman?

I haven't been watching Smallville lately, but I used to enjoy the "off continuity" spin-offs they'd play on a young Clark Kent's life. Add to the fact that it made Tom Welling, Kirsten Kreuk, and Michael Rosenbaum household and popculture names in the the entertainment industry, and you have one popular show that tells a different side of the epic Superman Mythology.

Since the time Kirsten's Lana Lang and Mr. Rosenbaum's Lex Luthor left the show, it's been pretty much left to Tom's Clark Kent and the rest of the remaining Smallville team to carry the torch and breath more life to it. Since I haven't been keeping up with the show, I've been at a loss at what's going on except for the fact that Clark's more aware with his Kryptonian lineage than ever before and he's now based in Metropolis (it WAS inevitable). Now, a new pic has surfaced in the web showing Clark Kent step up to the role he was destined to take anyway. Starting sometime in Season 9, say hello to his "alter ego":



Tom Welling as "Superman". Hmm... I don't know what to think. Looks a little too Matrix-y and out of place. I don't know if this will click with the hardcore Superman fanbase, but one thing's for sure... the show better explain why the red, yellow, and blue tights was vetoed over this get up.

5 comments:

PJC said...

Here's my take: it's NOT Superman. It's SuperBOY. This is sitll Clark as neophyte costumed hero, no matter what other experiences he's already been through. Aptly, his outfit more closely resembles the standard attire worn by Superboy (Connor Kent) in the 90s. No further justification required, methinks.

Besides, I'm sure he'll eventually opt for the red/yellow/blue spandex, as the series progresses (ends?).

Timzster said...

I agree. IT'S NOT SUPERMAN AT ALL. I was about to point out the same Conner Ken/ Kon-El comparison you made, but the suit, however, resembles an amalgamation of that and the Kryptonian Suit he wore during the "Reign Of The Supermen" saga in the 90's. In the end, it still doesn't convince me that he's the final, genuine article. That'll only happen once he eventually wears the red/yellow/ and blues.

Anonymous said...

:/ Superville's version of Clark depresses me. And I agree with Paolo (hi Pao~) about him being more like SuperBOY. I also find it odd how **SPOILER ALERT** they brought in Oliver Queen and toss him into a minor affair with Lois just to kickstart the whole Batman and Superman relationship later on, making it seem like Clark Kent's issues are always with rich boys. Smallville's just full of retcons and fandom fluff **SPOILER AGAIN** I mean, Lex and Lana married? COME ON. It's not something I'd recommend to a die-hard comic book fan.

Timzster said...

Nope, IT SHOULDN'T BE RECOMMENDED TO A DIE-HARD KAL-EL FAN. For all intents and purposes, this show should be looked at as the "black sheep" of the Superman mythos. They wanted to go at a different direction (read: Teen angst and mostly emo "Superboy"), and instead of making people attracted to read Supes in the comics, they get downright confused instead. That's why a lot of retcons and adjustments were made to fit into regular continuity. The Birthright series was one of them.

Anonymous said...

I actually know a hardcore Kal-El who likes it, but I think it's just for the fluff. Honestly, it's like Gossip Girl with superpowers. It's way too mushy gushy for me and it's just oozing with nonsensical drama. Maxima was the only good thing about it.

Post a Comment