Saturday, August 15, 2009

Happy 20th Birthday, Sega Genesis!

One of my earliest childhood gaming systems celebrates 20 years of existence this week... in the US at least.



Via Kotaku.com, I learned that way back in August 14th 1989, America welcomed the release of Sega's first console, the Genesis. Back then, it was the first 16-Bit system to be introduced to the gaming world, and stiff competition was rampant between Nintendo and Sega, the two big gaming companies at the time. When the Super Nintendo/ Famicom Entertainment System was released two years later, it gave rise to the "Console Wars", a new chapter where both consoles provided the power, but the content and preferences gamers had over the two systems varied greatly.



Since I live in Asia, I got access to the Mega Drive, the official name of the system in Japan. Why wasn't it called MD in the states? Trademark disputes and legal issues prevented the original name from being used, so SEGA of America went around the bush and decided to rename the console as the Sega Genesis instead.



I remembered owning this baby back as a kid, and through it I was introduced to the juicy world of 16-Bit gaming goodness. I played classics like Shinobi, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, and Bare Knuckle in the black little console, and I had loads of shitty fun playing this thing until the wee hours of the morning back in my youth. Of course, let's not forget the most important thing the system gave us - Sega's blue, furry mascot - Sonic The Hedgehog. Sega released more add-ons for the Genesis that tried to boost the systems performance like the Sega CD and Sega 32X. They did poorly in the market, and eventually the Genesis died out, with the company deciding to concentrate on its next big system, the Sega Saturn instead.

Ahh yes... the nostalgia juices are kicking in again. I love SEGA stuff, and I had a lot of fun with the Genesis. It was a sad day when we sold the system to get a PS1, not realizing the value the system had. Thankfully, I was able to get a Mega Drive 2 a few months ago! All that's left now is to find the games... if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment